Policy for Science
Policy for science refers to policies that manage and support the scientific enterprise. The Reilly Center is a named participant on several external grants.
- Research Integrity: We train students on the ethical, social, and policy implications of science and technology. We also provide training on the responsible conduct of research (RCR) and Social Responsibilities of Researchers (SRR).
Science in Policy
Science in policy refers to the use of scientific information in the political process, for example when a researcher explains the current state of scientific knowledge on an issue such as climate change, invasive species, or vaccinations. The Reilly Center offers professional development seminars covering topics of policy, ethics, and communication.
- Social Responsibilities of Researchers, a NSF-funded training program that equips graduate students in the sciences and engineering to understand the connections their research has with society and enables them to engage diverse publics and policy makers effectively and ethically.
- Science and Values in Policymaking teases apart various roles scientists adopt in the political arena by exploring the interplay and competition between scientific information and personal values in the policymaking process.
- Communicating Science Responsibly: Scientific researchers are now called upon to engage more fully with diverse publics and policy-makers. Public engagement, however, comes with its own challenges. As scientists and engineers leave their labs and enter the public sphere, they need to consider how to make responsible use of communication techniques by coupling skill in communicating effectively with deeper reflection on communicating responsibly.
Science Policy Courses
The Reilly Center offers courses on science policy topics through its educational programs, including but not limited to the following.
- The Politics of Science (HPS 93772 / STV 43372)
- Philosophy of Science and Public Policy (HPS 93825)
- Social and Political Ideals in Values in Science (HPS 93643 / STV 43143)
- Nuclear Warfare (STV 20461)
- Modern Physics and Moral Responsibility (STV 20154)
- Ensuring Food Safety: Role of Producers, Consumers and Public Health Agencies (STV 24129)
- Policy and Practice in STEM Education (STV 30322)
- Environmental Politics (STV 30343)
- Environmental Law and Policy (STV 34310)
- International Environmental Politics (STV 30363)
- The Politics of Adapting to Climate Change (STV 30393)
- Energy and Climate (STV 34313)
- Energy Technology and Policy (STV 40301)