Professor of Philosophy
Former Director, John J. Reilly Center
Fellow of the American Physical Society
B.Sc., Lyman Briggs College, 1971
A.M., Boston University, 1973
Ph.D., Boston University, 1979
Areas of Expertise: Philosophy of Science; Foundations of Physics; History of Philosophy of Science; Ethics of Science and Technology
- (co-editor) The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, vol. 2, The Swiss Years: Writings, 1900-1909 (1989)
- (co-editor) Einstein and the History of General Relativity (1989)
- (co-editor) The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, vol. 3, The Swiss Years: Writings, 1909-1912 (1993)
- (co-editor) Einstein: The Formative Years, 1879-1909 (2001)
- Revisiting the Foundations of Relativistic Physics: Festschrift in Honor of John Stachel (With Abhay Ashtekar, Robert S. Cohen, Jürgen Renn, Sahotra Sarkar, and Abner Shimony) (2004)
- The Challenge of the Social and the Pressure of Practice: Science and Values Revisited (With Martin Carrier and Janet Kourany) (2008)
Anche Einstein gioca a dadi. La lunga lotta con la meccanica quantistica. Vincenzo Fano and IsabellaTassani, eds. and trans. Rome: Carocci Editore, 2015.
- “Einstein and the Development of Twentieth-Century Philosophy of Science.” In The Cambridge
Companion to Einstein. Michel Janssen and Christoph Lehner, eds. New York: CambridgeUniversity Press, 2014, pp. 354-376.
“Virtue and Cyberconflict.” In The Ethics of Information Warfare. Luciano Floridi and Mariarosaria Taddeo, eds. London: Springer, 2014, pp. 155-168.
“Quantum Mechanics in Context: Pascual Jordan’s 1936 Anschauliche Quantentheorie.” In Research andPedagogy: A History of Quantum Physics through Its Textbooks. Massimilano Badino andJaume Navarro, eds. Berlin: Editions Open Access, 2013, pp. 265-283.