Welcome to the HPS Reading Group!
The HPS reading group serves as a weekly meeting place for graduate students, faculty, and friends of the program. Typically, conversations revolve around a book or set of articles central to, or on the cutting-edge of, the history and/or philosophy of science.
The reading groups fosters dialogue between historians and philosophers of science in an informal, friendly, and open manner, continuing our tradition of promoting philosophically engaged history of science and historically rich philosophy of science.
At any time, if you want to join our community, take part in the discussions, or simply find out more, please feel free to send an email to HPS director Robert Goulding at Robert.D.Goulding.firstname.lastname@example.org. We also continue our discussions in our google group (see below).
The Organization of the Reading Group
- We have a total of 9 meetings per semester: Tuesdays 4:15-5:30pm, beginning the first Tuesday of the semester. (The first meeting is usually an organizational one: setting up the schedule for the current semester, getting feedback, and further suggestions.)
- During the first 7 meetings we also solicit proposals for the next semester. If you want to submit a proposal here are some brief guidelines:
- Group proposals involving students and faculty members are strongly encouraged. Also, please note that in terms of the general orientation of suggestions, the Fall semester discussions tend to cluster around the history of science, while the Spring semester is usually dedicated to the philosophy of science
- You can suggest a topic, a book or a series of presentations. If you suggest a topic, we suggest that the readings for at least 5 sessions should be included in the proposal. If you suggest a book, please include some book reviews to help others familiarize themselves with it. Finally, if you opt for a series of presentations, then please include at least 3 volunteers.
- All proposals must include a paragraph explaining why the topic is a good choice for our group.
- The first meeting after the Fall break, we meet to discuss the topic for the next semester.
- Requirements: Graduate students are to attend reading group for at least four semesters and participate in at least one proposal.
Check out the HPS Calendar to see the entire lineup for this semester.